Tuesday, February 14, 2012

activity review: pedal spin studio

Back in my younger days, I figure skated, danced, did gymnastics, and was a cheerleader.  None of these activities are really viable options for me now as I approach my third decade of life.  I can't afford to head to buy skates and head to an ice rink, I'm way too out of shape to go to a tumbling class, and cheerleading?  Well that ended when high school did.  

So what does a girl do if she's not athletic but wants to work out?  Last year, I tried running.  All that I learned about running was that I am not a runner.  I had all of the gear necessary to try it out, so I wasn't wasting any money and there were no fees to run on my local trail.  However, I hated every second of it.  Before you ask, I tried it all: I made playlists, I brought my dog, and I asked friends that run if they'd run with me.  I am simply not a runner.  

So a few weeks ago, I woke up early on my day off and I did an internet search for this studio that I had driven by a few times.  It was called Pedal Spin Studio.  I found out it is a spin studio and the first class was free to try it out, so I went.  It happened to be a holiday and the class wasn't full, so I was in luck.  

The instructors name was Cheryl and as soon as I said I was new and trying it out, she walked me over to my bike and walked me through the basics.  She helped me set up my bike, told me how to change the bike's resistance, and explained a couple of things we'd be doing on our ride that day.  

The class started, the lights were turned off, and I was hooked.  

It's like a dance party on a stationary bike!  They have black lights, killer music, disco balls, and laser lights moving around the room.  I was told what to expect from the class, but I was also told to "ride my own ride."  

I had no idea what that meant until the end of the class.  It meant that when everyone else cranked up their resistance, I didn't have to.  When other people stood up and started pedaling extremely hard on their imaginary hills, I could stay seated and just push myself in other ways.  

I'm in my sixth week at Pedal Spin Studio and I go to at least two classes each week.  While it isn't extremely cheap, it's one of the best experiences I've had doing any activity in a long time.  I've built up my endurance, my strength, and most of all, my confidence.  Every time I walk in the doors I push my ride a little more than before and leave a little more sweaty and a lot more tough.  

A sixty minute ride earns me 13 Activity Points Plus, and I don't usually include the warm up or cool down time in that.  

Also, I've tried a couple of hybrid classes that the studio offers that incorporate cross training, core work, and weight training.  They are brutal!  But great!  

So if you have a studio near you, or you live near this one, I encourage you to go check it out.  Ask if they have a beginners session or any discounts for new riders.  But most importantly, ride your own ride.  

No comments:

Post a Comment