Saturday, March 3, 2012

recipe review: apple and maple steel cut oatmeal

I am not really into breakfast, but this was a pretty good take on the boring old oatmeal!  Give it a try, I'm sure you will enjoy it, or you can add your own twist on it.  

Apple and Maple Steel Cut Oatmeal
4 servings
3 Points Plus

1/2 cup steel cut oats
1 cup fat free milk
1 cup water
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 small apple, peeled and diced
1 teaspoon imitation maple flavor

Bring the water and milk to a low boil in a medium saucepan.  

Add sugar, diced apples, and the steel cut oats. Reduce heat to medium-low.  

Simmer, uncovered, for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally.  

Once the liquid has been absorbed and the oats are tender, stir in the maple flavor.  

Serve in small bowls, or if you're like me then just put it into your favorite tea or coffee cups.  

Now I have to be honest about this recipe, the first time I made this recipe I calculated it out to be only 2 servings at 6 Points Plus per serving.  Then I sat down with a bowl full of it, and I could only eat half of the serving!  So I've adjusted it to four servings, and it's only 3 tasty Points Plus per serving!  

Plus, you can put it into a storage container and reheat it throughout the week!  What a time saver for those of us on the go.  

No comments:

Post a Comment